Wednesday 17 June 2015

Comment Time- Rachel Dolezal & Being 'Transracial'

So... this 'comment time' had to be a little earlier this week because.. well!

I was on my Instagram last weekend.. just scrolling through my timeline.. and I see all of these '#askrachel' memes all over the place:




And I was like.. what is going on? And then when I googled '#askrachel' my brain was refreshed. So this woman has been posing as black, but she was 'outed' by her parents that she is indeed, white.

Now.. I really have no clue how to react to this. Should I be offended? Should I be humored by it? I'm really just on the fence-- I really suspect it's some kind of ploy with underlying racism. But I'm not offended nor upset about it.. I'm more concerned with the woman at hand.

Was there something that happened to her when she was younger that has caused her to be 'Transracial' (That term makes me cringe a little..)
Or has she had something traumatic happen to her to deny her God given race?
I know we all poke fun at the story, (with the thousands of memes on Instagram/facebook) but what was the purpose of the story coming out now? And then being compared to Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner's story?
I mean, in this video she is clearly asked if she is African American.. and she cannot answer.

I really don't know.. the story makes me wonder.

Thoughts anybody?

No comments:

Post a Comment