Tuesday 23 June 2015

#33 Don't Censor yourself

As you are in your draft stages of your story, novel, novella, poem-- whatever it maybe, do you find that you end up 'editing' yourself as you are writing?

Stop.

Don't do it! Well at least, not in the drafting stages! The first drafts, second drafts.. third drafts.. and yeah.. however many drafts, these are the raw stages of your creation.. and the last thing you want to do is censor it and possibly limit its effect.

If you want your character to be a sweary character.. let them! When you get to your final stages, that's when you tweak (almost wanted to say twerk..!) everything and make it all polished and nice.
Obviously, you still need a purpose to why you have put particular things in your story.. but let everything flow out before you censor, delete, edit, whatever it is you find yourself doing!

I find that I end up editing myself in my raw stages.. and then I end up doing it throughout and it doesn't really help me to flow like I should.

I find it a little stifling.. but it's something that I'm learning not to do right at the beginning; and wait to do it a little later down the line.

Have you noticed yourself doing this? What are your thoughts on it? Does it help you? Does it hinder your 'flow'?

Talk to me people!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment