Thursday 4 June 2015

#25 Punctuation Power

Right.
We are getting into the technicalities.. the nitty gritty!

So. I believe we are fully aware at how much of an effect punctuation has on writing, and overall response from the reader.

Would you like to read something that is so cool and so amazing and so wonderful I really want to tell you but I don't know when I can stop!

Did you see that? Didn't you find it annoying that there was no pause or break? If you didn't notice I even capitalized my 'I', because internally I have put a full stop after wonderful-- that would have been a run on sentence but at least you were able to catch a breath!

But obviously the purpose of punctuation is for a particular effect.

"No." and "No!" are two completely different expressions. The first no with a full stop is more a statement, whereas the second no is an exclamation. All I did was change the type of punctuation I used and it made the word completely different!

This seems extremely basic, but it is good to just know HOW much of an effect punctuation can have on your chosen piece of writing. That is why it is always so so SO important to know exactly why you are using a particular form of punctuation, and why you want that kind of effect. Something that I learned on my Creative Writing course always echoes in my mind when I write, and that is 'Make sure you have a reason for everything on the page'
You are the one creating, so you must know where and why you are placing your words as well as your punctuation.

We tend to overlook punctuation but it does serve its purpose-- and when used accordingly, your readers will enjoy everything you write.

Try it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment